Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jack Skellington Chicken Bento

Today's menu is tebasaki (grilled - or in my case broiled - chicken wings with sea salt). See the method and recipe I used here. When I make it, I always have to make several pounds (yes, you read that right) because I tend to snack while cooking. To monitor quality, of course. I sprinkle mine liberally with shichimi togarashi (Japanese red pepper mix), which makes it totally addicting. Even though the kids eat theirs plain, they are very tasty just with the sea salt. They can eat 10 or more wings each, and I packed their bento as full as I could, while still including pan-fried garlic kabocha, tomatoes, and Okinawan sweet potato. The fruit cup contains grapes and grapefruit, and a quail egg Jack Skellington wearing a mini sweet red pepper and radish santa hat. I was going to make Sally too, but after cutting out all those tiny features for Jack, I was done! I'm really not one for itty bitty nori cutting. She would have been very cool-looking though, so I'll have to make her another time for sure :)

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Jack is one of my favorite characters! My Christmas stocking is a Jack one :) Those wings make my stomach growl every time I see them! This bento look deeee-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I always love how healthy your bentos are. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, that's so cute! Thanks :D
    Thanks a lot AikoVenus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute!!! You getting more and more creative! ;)
    I love the Santa hat!

    ReplyDelete