Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sticky Rice Panda Bowl Bento

More panda and more! I found this ultra cute panda bento bowl set recently, and yes, even though I have several panda bento boxes already, I had to get this one because it's a bowl set, which makes it perfect for things like donburi (rice bowl meals) or... sticky rice. I don't usually pack donburi because my kids aren't big rice eaters, but they do like sticky rice. Go figure. This batch (see my basic recipe and method here) contains regular white sweet rice mixed with koshihikari short grain brown rice. I added char siu, lup cheong (Chinese sausage), shiitake, baby bok choy and small chunks of kabocha. I made sure to add the choy and the kabocha at the very end of the cooking cycle; maybe 5 minutes before the end. You want the squash to be firm and not mushy. I topped this rice bowl with chopped green onions - doesn't it look nice? The top tier has a nice stylized divider, making it perfect for the berries, oranges, Okinawan sweet potato butterflies and a tiny sprig of broccoli. And look at the cute panda face on the lid! It clips securely, and even came with the little fork and spoon, which have tiny heart-shaped cutouts in the handles. Naturally I couldn't resist. ^_^
Added to Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love.

13 comments:

  1. I don't know how you continue to come up with these wonderfully creative bentos. Seriously. I try and try and can only manage a mangled, unrecognizable animal-ish-like shaped pancakes. Actually, they look more blobbish than anything else. I'm JELLY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Irresistible!! I love these kinds of meals! Kinda like bibimpap.. just need ma hot sauce. These panda boxes are sooo adorable. I esp love that clasp lid. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutie cutie pandan! I'll get it too if I were you! Haha! ;P
    The sticky rice looks so appetizing with so colorful ingredients! I'm going over to check out your recipe now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yobodish -- your delicious food doesn't need any cute animals; it gets eaten too fast anyway! Actually I want you to come over and cook us some kimchi jjigeh!

    Chantale -- me too I love all rice meals. And I'm all about the gojuchang (sriracha, etc) too!

    Thanks ladies ^_^!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lyn! I hope you like the recipe; you can adapt it as you like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the purple butterflies on top of that summery fruit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many bento boxes do you have? It's so fun to check what you have been cooking Sheri. I don't know how you come up with so many ideas... I think you really have fun making bento that's why always something new and something so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *I* wouldn't have been able to resist, so I can fully understand you getting this cute panda box! It's great in its details (divider, cutlery). And you made just the perfect meal for it! Lucky sprites... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous over the panda box. You always make lovely colorful bentos and this one is no exception, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much Uniflame, Nami, Gnoe and Natakiya! You're very sweet with your kind comments. I love making bento for my kids, and they are my inspiration. Artistic ability is not required for a lovely bento - as you can see there are no cute characters at all here. Just a love for delicious fresh food :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and Nami, I have stopped counting my boxes. Let's just say there are more than 50.

    >.<

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love sticky rice too and I usually order some whenever I visit my local dim sum restaurant. Cute panda box:)!

    ReplyDelete