Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sunny Side Kimchi Fried Rice

I had extra rice from the last batch of Thai purple jasmine, so I decided to make kimchi fried rice. This time I used chopped onions, garlic, baby bok choy, red capsicum, shredded carrot and green onion. And chopped kimchi of course! This time I added equal amounts of shoyu and kimchi juice; I'm trying to get my kids accustomed to more spicy foods so we can all eat the same stuff. My husband and I LOVE spicy food, the hotter the better. Korean is one of our favorite cuisines, and kimchi jigae is my favorite Korean soup! If we order it at the restaurant, I eat most of it. Wouldn't it be great if the kids liked it too? Then we could all enjoy it. Anyway, back to the bento.

Kimchi fried rice is a good way to introduce spicy food because you can control the level of hotness using more or less of kimchi and kimchi juice. If you like it very spicy you can add a lot, until the rice turns a beautiful orange color. It's a delicious and substantial meal-in-one, and if you add meat it's even more so. Traditionally you can top with a fried egg, and you may remember last time I made a fried egg bunny. Here I fried the quail egg inside a red capsicum ring, which is an idea I got from a flickr friend, Cathryn3. Nori and sesame seeds make the facial details. I also added some yellow carrot flowers for color punch. For fruits I put in a tangerine, strawberry and some kiwi flowers. This is my Pokemon box, which always seems too small to me at first, then ends up being a perfect size for my 6 year old. Go figure.

Happy Friday, bento friends!

Bento Box on FoodistaBento Box

13 comments:

  1. LOL, I think we both were Korean in a past life! The fried rice sounds yummy and I love the egg! So cute and the blue bento box is such a pretty color! I once saw this little girl (no older than 3) eating kimchee at a Korean restaurant that we were at! My boy eats kimchee too, we give him only a little at a time but he loves it. Now to get my daughter used to spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love how you've put the sesame seeds next to the eyes -- it makes the expression so much more adorable and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, that's so sweet of you, thanks sherimiya! Woohoo! I'm not a big spicy eater myself but I do have a jar of mild kimchi in the fridge that I try to nibble on to build up my spicy taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan! I know, I see kids eating spicy food too, and can't believe it! *sigh* One day we'll get there with our kids :)

    Thanks hypothermya! I think I got the idea from Susan :D

    Thanks Cathryn3! Good luck building up your spicy tolerance! Let me know if it works so I can anticipate progress with my kids too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet and happy, love it! Kimchi fried rice is a wonderful notion, I must make this soon. And what a perfect kiwi flower, sherimiya! Happy weekend to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your creativity. The quail egg inside the capsicum is wonderful.If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday! That egg friend is too cute!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Margot!

    Bentobird, hope you can try the kim
    chi fried rice soon. It
    Is so easy, and delish! Wonderful weekend to you too!

    Thanks a lot Alisa!

    Thanks Jenn! Eggy friends ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG the egg is sooooo adorable! Love it! Kimchi fried rice is one of my favourite, so flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot mils! hehe, we love this flavorful easy rice dish too, and with a ready-to-go cute topping, it's fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm in the "korean in a past life club" too! as far as i'm concerned, there is never too much kimchi juice, and there is no more perfect combo than fried rice with an egg. love cathryn's idea to fry inside the ring, too! and your sesame seed eyelashes are the cutest. lastly, the fruit section is so perfectly and snugly fitted in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, haha! How can anyone not love Korean food is beyond me. It's a no-brainer.
    Thanks megan!

    ReplyDelete